Wednesday, December 14, 2011

'Tis the Season

So, it is crazy cold here...so when we are out and about and have to potty, we go in a gas statoin and buy a hot chocolate or something. Well, the other day Hermana Grass opens the restroom door at this Chevron and there is a homeless man havin a good old time! I turn around from the hot cocoa machine because I hear her say, "Oh, so sorry!" and the door slam. HAHAHAHA! I was dying! She kept trying to hide behind some chips for when he came out and it was just too much. I laughed and laughed for the next day or so. :) Who does not lock the gas station potty door! I mean come one man?!

So, our mission goal is 711 baptisms in 2011/this transfer that goes a bit into January...well, we are scraping the barrell and we don't mind getting our hands dirty because we know the Lord will provide...with the Christmas season here I  have been thinking a lot about when the Angel Gabriel came to Mary and her confident response was, "For with God, nothing is impossible." The mother of the son of God said that...WOW! I have no room to be a wimp...so, we are making good progress...daily new investigators and we have been teaching 2 families! You heard me, families! They are listening, they are loving and we can see how faithful they already are without the gospel, so we can just imagine the assets they would be to the branch! (La familia de J. y A. and Galino y Sofia) We have a branch Christmas dinner and program this Friday that the branch is known for, so we have invited everybody and are going to do a church tour afterwards, so we hope everyone comes...because J and A pooped out on us at the last second before sacrament yesterday...we were fasting and crossing our fingers and we still have faith that the Lord knows best and if it is His will to get them to church, He will. :) There are many other stories I could tell ya, but time is slipping...so as of right now, just know that I am praying the hardest for these families to feel the spirit's pushes and then for Esme who I can't remember if I told you about her, but she is an 18yr old who just had a baby and is the girlfriend of a less active. The baby is not his, but he takes great care of her and she hardcore believes in everything about the church, but put off baptism to  have the baby 2 weeks ago. So, we are trying to get a solid date out of her this week, because it is critical that she doesn't lose this opportunity...she came to church yesterday and the branch loves her. :) As we were fasting and praying with our whole hearts for these investigators to come to church yesterday and brainstorming how to make them feel welcome and have a positive experience and feel the spirit, we asked certain members before church to make sure and fellowship them and be proactive...but we cannot force. It made me miss you guys for the mere fact that each and every one of you would never have to be asked. I said to Hermana Grass, "Gosh, I just wish my family was here because each of them would be perfect for each investigator and their kids. I can think of how proactive and how each of my family member's personalities would match up perfect with each investigator...I need them on my mission, I need them in this branch!" The branch is great, I just have a really great family is all. :) She totally agreed with me and said that she has had the same feelings about her family too.

I am memorizing Joseph Smith's first prayer from the JSH in spanish right now, because so far it is my favorite thing to teach. Telling his beautiful experience to investigators has been my most beautiful experience on the mission to date. When they say, "Everyone says they have the truth and I am so confused." I get to say, "Well, there is someone who was just as confused in 1820...and because he had the desire to know, he read his scriptures and prayed with real intent and for that effort, he received many answers and all of them were true because they were from God." I also have loved having investigators read the book of Enos. It is clear, concise, powerful and very personal because while Joseph Smith was a prophet called to restore a church and for that he literally saw God and Jesus Christ, when we pray for answers it usually comes like Enos's experience..."words or a voice into our mind." Reading this book does not make the investigators feel overwhelmed because it is so short and it gives them a great example of how and what they should do and how and what will happen if they are sincere. Ok, enough rambling...gotta go, ADIOS! :)

Love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment